Register to get Free Tournament Tickets, Bonus and Rakeback
Indian Rummy Rules is a simple and straightforward game to learn. Online Rummy is hugely popular among Indians and is played among people of the age group. In case you are unaware of the rummy rules or brush it up here are some important rules about Indian online rummy game. Play Rummy is one of the real money earning games in India and can be played involving two or more players. The first player to arrange the cards in a sequence winds the game.
Rules of Indian Rummy Game
- The Number of Packs – Depending on the number of players the pack of cards used in a game may vary from 1 pack to 3 packs. Each pack will have 52 cards plus a joker card
- The Rank of Cards – There is a total of 52 value cards plus joker cards in a single pack. There are 4 symbols of hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades and each symbol has 13 cards sequenced from Ace,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, Jack, Queen and King. The number cards carry the points of their numbers while the royal family cards JQKA having 10 points each.
- Start of Game – To see who starts the game each player is distributed with one card and the player who has the highest card value holds the start position and action begins with this player.
- Cards Distribution – The player to the right of the highest card acts as a dealer and distributes cards to players. Each player is distributed with 13 cards and the undealt cards are kept face-down in the center of the table as the stock. The top card is turned upward, beside the stock as the first card of the discard pile.
- Wild Joker Selection – At the beginning of each game a random card is selected from the deck of cards as a wild joker card. Players can use the wild joker card as a replacement for a missing card to form a sequence of the set. They play the same role as printed joker in Rummy.
- Game play –The player to the left of the dealer starts the game and can either pick up the card on the discard pile or the top card from the stock. The player will try to form a winning sequence using the card and discards a card face up if all sequences required to complete the game are not obtained. Now the action is passed to the next player who can pick discarded by the player or from the pile of cards. The game continues till the winning sequence is arrived by a player.
- Winning Sequence – The winning sequence is the arrangement of all the 13 cards in a sequence with at least 2 sets with a minimum of 3 cards in a set. One of the sets has to be a pure sequence. The remaining cards should be arranged in valid sequences and/or sets.
1.Pure sequence– A pure sequence consists of 3 or more cards of the same suit in consecutive order. The valid order being A-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-J-Q-K-A. These are also known as pure or straight or natural runs
2. Impure sequence – If a player uses a joker card not for its original value to form a sequence it is called a impute sequence. EX: if A is joker, it should be added in between the 2&4 which result as 2, A,4. Here acts a 3.
3. Sets – A set is a group of three or four cards of the same value but with different suits/symbols. Ex: if you had A in hearts, diamonds, and clubs; it’s considered as a set. They also called a dummy sequence or set. Joker also can also be used as a substitute for one of the cards. EX: if 2 is joker, you can use 2 in between A heart and A club.
Winner: Players who first meld the cards to form a winning sequence should declare their cards to become winners of the game. The cards of opponents which have not formed a sequence or set are summed up to calculate points. If the opponents do not have a pure sequence than the value of all cards held by the opponent is counted towards points.
- Highest Points – The maximum point value of cards in the hand of the player is 80. Even though they had an excessive value of points.
- First Drop – A player gets 20 points if they drop out of the game on the very first turn without picking a card from the Open Deck.
- Middle drop – A player gets 40 points if they drop out of the game after the first turn.
- Consecutive Misses: If a player misses three consecutive turns than they are dropped out of the game and 40 points is allotted.
- Wrong Declaration: If a player makes a wrong declaration without forming correct sequences and/or sets required to win than the player is penalized with 80 points.
- Discard action – If you discard one card out your hand, that card can’t be added again in the table. So be careful before discarding any cards from your hand as well as a pile of deck cards.
- Points – All the cards whose value is equal to the same points of their respective value.For Ex: 2=2,3=3. But the value of each royal family card had 10 points each. Ex:A=10,J=10,Q=10,K=10.
Learn more how the rummy game points are calculated in Indian Rummy Rules ?
- Ace, King, Queen and Jack are high value cards which all are carrying 10 points each.
Joker and Wild Cards are calculated as zero point.
- The rest of the other cards have the same value of their face value example, 8 ♥, 9♥, 10♥ are calculated as 8 points, 9 points and 10 points.
Indian Rummy Rules Losing Player Points
- If the player formed pure sequence doesn’t have impure or second sequence the value of all cards is added, which is calculated as 80 points.
- If the player formed pure and impure sequence, rests of other card points are calculated as the same value of their face value of the cards.
- For wrong declaration is calculated as 80 points.
- For first drop is calculated as 20 points.
- For middle drop is calculated as 40 points.
- Consecutively misses 3 times, it is considered as middle drop with as 40 points
- If a player picks a card from the closed deck, then leaves the table, it is considered as the middle drop.
- If the player hasn’t picked any card from the deck, it is considered as first drop as 20 points.
Common Terms used in Indian Rummy Rules
A list of some common terms in an Indian Rummy Game that every player should know before starts playing online rummy.
It’s used to a player do not pick any card and extra time is over, the players hand will be automatically dropped.
One card from closed deck will be picked and discarded to open deck automatically
Groups of pure or impure sequence or sets.
To start playing a Round, the cards have to be given to all the players is termed as Dealing.
The complete set of cards consisting of suits and jokers cards. Total number of 52 cards + 2 joker
Get rid of cards from the hand or deck pile
Internet Disconnection or Idle condition during rummy game play.
Pick a card from the deck
Its an option when player wants to discontinue a certain round(s) with certain penalty.
Initial Drop- 20 points
Middle Drop- 40 points
80 is the maximum possible score for 1 round
It can be used to group three or more cards of hand. Cards grouped in SET or SEQUENCE can be favorable to the players in cases of disconnection, auto play and/or for game reviews.
With Joker cards called Impure Sequence.
Joker in a deck of cards can be identified with a symbol of joker printed on it. It can be used to replace or substitute any playing card.
It’s an option can be used When players want to leave during the game play with the penalty of middle drop.
2 to six players can be participating in a game
Without a Joker is called a Pure Sequence.
Online Rummy is one of the most popular card games in India. It consists of 52 cards K Q J 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 A differs by suit types with printed jokers. According to the Indian Supreme Court, Rummy is considered as a skill based one, it’s not a game of chance and online rummy game is absolutely legal to play.
A group of 3, 4 or more cards with the same value or different Suits. Highest card by
Mixing the cards well before dealing the game. The shuffling is done by a certified Random Number Generator (RNG)
There are four suits in a deck of cards represents clubs is lowest , followed by diamonds, hearts, and spades is highest. Each suit has high card Ace; three face cards, King, Queen and Jack; pip cards 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 2 printed joker cards.
A Table is where a Game of online rummy is played. Every rummy table can sit two to six players for each game. Many websites providing an option to change the background of the game table.
To make a successful show, a player must have at least pure sequence and sequence with/without jokers.
Wild Card is randomly selected from the deck at the beginning of rummy game. acts as a substitute for the regular suit cards.
Winner of the round is awarded sum of all losing players points, in result table equivalent real chips value will be shown.
Finishes the round does not contain valid sequence or sets. It will be calculated with 80 points
More details about latest rummy news and updates visit GamingStar.